Dredging works to improve historic port begins
Dredging works to improve historic port begins

Dredging work to help restore access to the upper quays in a historic port has begun.
The work in Truro, Cornwall, funded by the Truro Town Deal programme, would remove mud and silt from the riverbed, increasing its depth and extending the tidal window for vessels to use the upper quays, project leaders said.
It was be carried out at Town Quay, Garras Wharf and Worth’s Quay between August and November during suitable high tide conditions, they added.
Harbour Master Chris Jones said the project marked a “significant investment in the future of the Port of Truro,” improving the experience for harbour users while supporting “the long-term sustainability and vitality of the port”.
-
More news stories for Cornwall
-
Listen to the latest news for Cornwall
The improvements follow surveys carried out by Cornwall Council and the Harbour Authority for Truro, which identified areas of significant silt accumulation.
Extensive ecological and environmental assessments had been carried out, with the necessary permissions secured, according to the Harbour Authority for Truro, project leaders said..
The next steps would involve the installation of a dinghy and day boat pontoon at Garras Wharf, as well as improvements to pathways, surfacing and railings at the wharf, they added.
Alan Stanhope, chair of the Truro Town Deal Board, said the work was “something many people had wanted to see delivered for a long time”.
He added: “The river and port are central to the city’s history, identity and future, and these works will help unlock more opportunities for people to enjoy and make use of our waterfront.
“It is fantastic to see this work under Truro Town Deal being brought forward for the benefit of residents, businesses and visitors alike.”
Follow BBC Cornwall on X, Facebook and Instagram. Send your story ideas to spotlight@bbc.co.uk.
-
Pollution fears over harbour dredging plan
-
Scaled back regeneration project works under way
-
Works to improve waterside areas set to start
Related internet links
-
Cornwall Harbours
-
Cornwall Council
-
Truro Town Deal
-
Truro City Council
Around 400 homes in Benenden, Cranbrook and Rolvenden continue to be affected, South Easte Water says.
The bladder stone, which weighs as much as a full-term baby, is believed to be the largest on record.
Helen Butler, who represented Shepshed, says she wants to spend more time with her family.
US President Donald Trump says Kim Jong Un had responded to his recent overtures and praised his relationship with the North Korean leader a day after scaling back military drills with South Korea.Lee proposed talks at the weekend to formally end the Korean War and said Tuesday that joint US-South Korean drills showed no “intention to attack North Korea or escalate tensions on the Korean peninsula”.
Devon and Somerset Fire Service said six crews and an environmental unit attended the fire.
An MoD spokesperson responds by saying Britain stands “shoulder to shoulder” with Ukraine.
The U.S. and Iran are yet to agree a deal over the Strait of Hormuz.
The U.S. and Iran are yet to agree a deal over the Strait of Hormuz.
YOGYAKARTA, Indonesia, Aug 18 (Reuters) – An Indonesian court began a trial on Tuesday for 11 daycare staffers alleged to be involved in a high-profile case of abuse against children in their care.
South Korea’s president said Tuesday a solid alliance with the U.S. strengthens the foundation of national security, as many South Koreans were baffled and concerned about U.S. President Donald Trump’s abrupt order to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises. Trump made the surprise announcement in a social media post just before U.S. and South Korean soldiers began Monday’s annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, which are largely designed to sharpen readiness against North Korean threats.
The change, which has been welcomed by campaign groups, will come into effect in England from April.
The fire service said it was called to Locking Farm Industrial Estate on Tuesday morning.
Drivers are advised to stay away from the area and to follow diversion routes.
BEIJING, Aug 18 (Reuters) – China lowered the national flag at government headquarters on Tuesday to mourn former Premier Zhu Rongji, the no-nonsense reformer who died last week aged 97, as citizens
Firefighters and farmers teamed up to rescue Nell who had got stuck in the waterway.
“The boulders that were coming down were so heavy they were like shaking the ground,” resident Alice Birnbaum told CBS News.
SEOUL, Aug 18 (Reuters) – Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi will visit South Korea from August 19 to 20, South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday, marking his first official trip to the country
The fire service says it has received hundreds of gifts and messages of thanks from the public.
A US News and World Report ranking put some Pittsburgh-area schools among the top schools in the state.
Tech company DataVita intend to expand their current site in Airdrie and construct a second centre in the area, previously designated as an AI growth zone.
Powered by WPeMatico






































